Sights of Crimea
Âñå ïî àëôàâèòó
The Fortress of Yeni-Kale
The newly built fortifications were called Yeni-Kale, which is translated from the Tatar language as just a “New Fortress”.
In 1701 the Turks started constructing a new fortress on the western coast of Kerch Strait; the fortress was designed to prevent Russian ships entering the Black Sea. An Italian Goloppo who had turned Mohammedan headed construction of the new fortress. The main work was finished by 1703. The newly built fortifications were called Yeni-Kale, which is translated from the Tatar language as just a “New Fortress”. Here there was the headquarters of the Turkish defence on the Black Sea coast.
In 1825 the Fortress of Yeni-Kale was abolished, and a military hospital was located on its former area; and the town step by step turned into a small settlement. In 1855 it was the last time when the Fortress of Yeni-Kale took part in war – its battery briefly combated with a British-French troops landed in Kerch. After the Crimean War Yeni-Kale finally turned into Kerch suburb. In 1880-ies the hospital was closed and the fortress was deserted once and for all.
Nowadays, the Fortress of Yeni-Kale has been restored and accepts guests.
360 degree panoramic images