The magnificent Vorontsov’s Palace towers over the ancient park, just in the center of Alupka. This architectural monument of the first half of the 19th century was built in Romanticism period.
He amazes a modern viewer with a vivid originality of architectural forms, the original layout, interesting style solutions for each of the buildings, the skill with which lined the walls, and finally finishing the interior - all this admire lots of generations of fans of beauty.
Hundreds of the serfs and hired workers - put here their talent and work. The terrain was so skillfully used that the palace seemed growing out of the natural environment.
The palace was build as a summer residence of an outstanding Russian statesman, General-Governor of New Russia M.S. Vorontsov (1782-1856) and was designed by a British architect Edward Blore (1789-1879).
The palace consists of several buildings ( central , dining, guest house, library and household building) that comprised a single architectural ensemble.
The guest building was named Shuvalov’s building after Vorontsov’s daughter, Sofia Mikhailovna Vorontsova, Shuvalova after marriage, who lived in its right part.
The grandiose construction of the palace started from the dining building (1830 – 1834). The central building was constructed in 1831 - 1837. In 1841 - 1842. the dining room was rebuild to a billiard room. In 1838 – 1844 guest housing, eastern wings, all the towers of the palace, a pentagon business buildings were built. The front yard had benn decorating.
The library building was built the last (1842-1846). The largest volume of excavation was carried out from 1840 to 1848 with the help of a sapper battalion of soldiers in the construction of terraces of the park in front of the southern facade.
Being carved in the studio of the famous Italian sculptor Giovanni Bonanni, lion sculptures were put on the central staircase leading towards the main entrance in summer 1848. This lion terrace completed the building and decoration of the palace.